Estes Park's Hidden Gem: Uncover the Historic Crags Lodge!

The Historic Crags Lodge Estes Park (CO) United States

The Historic Crags Lodge Estes Park (CO) United States

Estes Park's Hidden Gem: Uncover the Historic Crags Lodge!

Estes Park's Hidden Gem: Crags Lodge - My Rambling, Rafting-Related Review

Okay, folks, buckle up. This isn't your grandma's sanitized hotel review. This is the Crags Lodge, Estes Park, unfiltered. I've just spent a week there, dodging elk, wrestling with my own existential dread (Estes Park does that to you), and generally trying to remember where I put my car keys. Consider this a messy, honest, and utterly human account.

First Impressions & Those Damn Elk:

Arriving at Crags Lodge is like stepping back in time, but in a good way. It’s got this… historic vibe, which is a nice way of saying "old," but trust me, it’s got charm. The exterior corridor setup, classic! Think old Hollywood, but with a backdrop of the Rockies. Oh, and speaking of the Rockies, be prepared for the Elk. Seriously, these majestic jerks are everywhere. They wander the lawns, munch on the bushes, and generally make you feel like you're trespassing on their turf.

Accessibility - A Mixed Bag, Sadly:

Okay, let's get real for a second. Accessibility is a bit of a mixed bag. They do have facilities for disabled guests and an elevator, but honestly, the property is a bit spread out, and some rooms are probably easier to get to than others. I didn't personally need it, but if you or someone you're with requires specific accommodations, definitely call ahead and be super clear about your needs. Don't assume anything! Double-check everything! Be that guest.

The Wi-Fi Wars & Other Techy Bits:

The most important thing first, the Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! It's a big win. The Internet access itself was okay, sometimes strong, sometimes…well, like dial-up in the 2000s. Don't expect to stream 4k movies all day long, but for checking emails and posting envy-inducing photos of the mountains (guilty!), it works. They even have Internet [LAN]! Because who doesn't need a LAN connection in 2024?

Cleanliness and Safety – They Take it Seriously:

In a world of pandemic anxieties, Crags Lodge actually makes you feel safe. They're on top of the Cleanliness and safety. I saw staff constantly wiping things down, and the room sanitization felt thorough. They had all the usual suspects: Hand sanitizer everywhere, First aid kit available, and I’m guessing the Anti-viral cleaning products were probably at work. The fact that they offer Room sanitization opt-out available is a nice touch, too.

Rooms: Cozy, Comfortable, and (Mostly) Quiet:

My room? It was a decent size, with a non-smoking rule in place, which is always a good thing. Yes, the air conditioning was perfect. The bathrobes were comfy, the blackout curtains were my best friend after those early morning hikes, and the wake-up service was efficient (once I set the alarm correctly!). I didn't use the in-room safe box, but it was there. They all have the necessities, including complimentary tea and coffee, which, let's face it, is crucial for surviving the mountain air. I had a window that opens which I value more than words can say.

Dining & Drinking – A Tale of Two Experiences:

The dining situation at Crags Lodge? Well, it's not exactly the Michelin Guide, but it's perfectly serviceable and sometimes delightful. The breakfast [buffet] was solid, offering a good mix of Western breakfast fare, with the Coffee/tea in restaurant a must after battling the elk. They do have a bar, which is essential for apres-hike relaxation. The Poolside bar is also nice. The restaurants were reliable. The Waitstaff was very accommodating. Be sure to have the bottle of water with you when you’re out and about.

Fitness, Relaxation, and a Pool with a View – My Personal Breakdown:

Okay, here’s where things get interesting. I’m usually a gym-avoider, but I actually hit the Fitness center a couple of times. It was small, but hey, the treadmill had a view! And speaking of views, the Pool with a view is stunning. I could have spent all day there. I checked out the Spa/sauna for the full experience, and after a hike, it was pure heaven. I didn’t have a Body scrub or Body wrap, but I heard good things. There's also a Steamroom which I also enjoyed. It's not a full-blown luxury spa, but it's a damn good way to unwind after a day of hiking and dodging elk.

Things to Do & Ways to Relax -- The Heart of the Estes Experience (and My Existential Crisis):

So what really defines Crags Lodge? Its location! Right at the heart of the Estes experience. The Things to do are endless. Hiking, rafting, riding horses – basically anything that will make you feel like a real mountain person, or something.

  • Rafting! OK, the Rafting! This requires its own paragraph, and it was the thing, the whole point of the trip. I booked my rafting experience through the hotel. I figured, “Great, I’ll be all relaxed and nature-y after a day on the river.” Nope. The water was freezing! I was soaked to the bone, and kept thinking that I would never feel warm again. Halfway through, I considered jumping out and walking back. And then, the guide, a guy named Dave who looked like he could wrestle a grizzly bear, pointed out a bald eagle soaring overhead. The moment made me realize how amazing the Rocky Mountains were. The ride was a great way to wash your fears away.

Services and Conveniences & The Small Annoyances:

The Daily housekeeping was a godsend, keeping my chaos at bay. They have Laundry service, which is helpful after a week of hiking. Luggage storage was convenient. And the Concierge was helpful with recommendations, though, occasionally, there was no answer to your questions to them. The Car park [free of charge] is a massive bonus in Estes Park, trust me. The Gift/souvenir shop is there for that last-minute mountain-themed purchase.

For the Kids & For Getting Around:

I didn't have kids with me, but they do have Family/child friendly, which gives families an option. They also have a Babysitting service, if the option is your idea.

The Little Annoyances:

  • The Check-in/out [express], was mostly smooth, but the one time they had an issue.
  • The Wi-Fi for special events seemed less dependable than the more casual WiFi.

The Verdict: Should You Stay at Crags Lodge?

Yes. Absolutely, yes.

The Offer You Can't Refuse (Even if you're on a Budget)

The Crags Lodge Escape: Your Rocky Mountain Adventure Awaits!

Are you ready for an adventure? Craving fresh mountain air, stunning views, and a taste of the historic charm of Estes Park?

Then book your stay at Crags Lodge, and we'll throw in:

  • Free Bonus: Get a 15% discount on all rafting experiences.
  • The "Elk-Proof Your Luggage" Guarantee: We'll provide you with a map of elk hotspots and a complimentary air freshener (because sometimes, the wildlife comes close).
  • Direct Book Perk: Free early check-in (subject to availability) so you can hit the trails faster!

Limited-Time Offer: Book by [Date] and receive a complimentary bottle of local craft beer upon arrival!

Why Crags Lodge is Your Perfect Escape:

  • Historic Charm: Experience the magic of Estes Park in a lodge filled with character and history.
  • Breathtaking Views: Wake up to the majestic Rocky Mountains right outside your window.
  • Unforgettable Activities: Hike, bike, raft, or simply relax by the pool – the possibilities are endless!
  • Relax and Rejuvenate: Unwind after a day of adventure with our spa services.

Don't wait! This offer won't last. Book your escape to Crags Lodge today and create memories that will last a lifetime!

Escape to Paradise: Caterina's Dream House in Otranto, Italy!

Book Now

The Historic Crags Lodge Estes Park (CO) United States

The Historic Crags Lodge Estes Park (CO) United States

The Crags Lodge: A Love Letter (and a Few Grumbles) - My Completely Unplanned Itinerary

Alright, alright, here’s the deal. I went to Estes Park and stayed at The Crags Lodge. And, frankly, I’m still processing it. This itinerary thing is more of… a memory vomit. Prepare yourselves.

Day 1: Arrival and Altitude Sickness… My Old Enemy

  • 1:00 PM: Arrive in Estes Park. The drive was… well, let’s just say my GPS is an optimistic liar. It promised a scenic route; I got a series of hairpin turns that made me question my life choices. My stomach? Let’s just say it felt like those turns.
  • 1:30 PM: Check into The Crags Lodge. The lobby is actually pretty grand! Fireplace roaring, the wood smells amazing. Definitely a "Welcome to the Rockies!" vibe. Except… I had a bit of a panic when the elevator broke down and I was on fourth floor. The thought of hauling my suitcase up those stairs (remember those hairpin turns?) sent a shiver of dread down my spine. Took a deep breath and took the stairs.
  • 2:00 PM: Sigh. Unpack. Found a giant beetle in my suitcase, courtesy of the… "rustic charm" of my car. A little scream escaped. Not ideal. Settling in, though, and the view from the balcony is gorgeous. My lungs, however, are not as thrilled. Altitude sickness is a nasty beast. Headachy, light-headed… felt like I'd spent the day in a tumble dryer.
  • 3:00 PM: Forced myself to hike the short trail nearby. Made it about 100 feet before needing to sit on a log and gasp for air. The views, though. Seriously, jaw-dropping mountains. I think I saw a squirrel give me the side-eye, probably judging my pathetic attempts at mountain goat imitation.
  • 5:00 PM: Dinner at the hotel restaurant. The Elk burger was good, and I needed all the calories I could get. The waitress, bless her heart, was so friendly. She told me about a local ghost. Apparently, one of the rooms used to be the room of a famous, but unhappily married, lady who stayed there. She was always wandering the halls. I was a little creeped out, a lot relieved not to be staying in that room.
  • 7:00 PM: Watched the sunset. Wow. Just… wow. All those struggles of the day just melting away…
  • 8:00 PM: Crawled into bed. Altitude sickness is a jerk.

Day 2: Rocky Mountain High (and Low… mostly low, this time)

  • 7:00 AM: Woke up feeling like I'd been run over by a pack of particularly rambunctious mountain goats. Altitude sickness didn’t care that it was a new day.
  • 8:00 AM: Breakfast at the lodge. Pancakes were fluffy, coffee was strong. Fuel for… what, another day of slow-motion hiking?
  • 9:00 AM: Decided to be "adventurous!" Booked a horseback riding tour. Emphasis on the word "booked." The reality? My legs screamed, my rear end has never felt so… exposed. The horses were lovely, the guide was patient (I kept getting distracted by the mountains), but I'm pretty sure I now walk with a permanent waddle.
  • 12:00 PM: Lunch at a little diner in town. Found a "Rocky Mountain Oysters" advertisement. Nope. Nope. Nope. Settled for a very safe BLT, with extra bacon, because I earned it with the horseback riding.
  • 2:00 PM: Explored the town of Estes Park. Tourist shops galore! I'm not usually one for cheesy souvenirs, but I did end up buying a t-shirt that said "I survived Estes Park (and the altitude)." Self-congratulatory, yes, but also accurate.
  • 4:00 PM: Finally caved and took a nap. Altitude sickness had my number, and I surrendered. Best nap of my life, though.
  • 6:00 PM: Dinner at the hotel. This time, opted for the salmon. Still good. Still needed a hearty meal.
  • 7:00 PM: Wandered the hotel grounds, got a bit lost, stumbled upon a little hidden spot with a babbling brook. Pure magic. For a fleeting moment, I felt like I was in a movie. Then, a rogue chipmunk stole my popcorn.
  • 8:00 PM: The lady ghost wasn't going to bother me. I was going to sleep like the dead tonight.

Day 3: The Road Home… and a Final, Grudging Appreciation

  • 7:00 AM: I felt surprisingly alright! Victory! Did some final packing and some deep breaths - altitude be damned!
  • 8:00 AM: Breakfast. Another mountain of pancakes. This time, I felt like I deserved it.
  • 9:00 AM: A final scramble around Estes Park looking for a gift shop that has a mug that wasn’t generic. Did I? No, I didn't, but I was happy I had tried.
  • 10:00 AM: Checked out. I wanted more mountains, but I was also ready for clean air and a level ground.
  • 10:15 AM: The drive was, again, not quite as simple as it looked.
  • 1:00 PM: Headed home, feeling surprisingly… nostalgic? Estes Park and The Crags Lodge weren't perfect. Far from it. The altitude tried to kill me, I got chased by a chipmunk, and I'm pretty sure I'll be sore for a week. But the mountains. The views. The little moments of beauty… yeah, maybe I'll be back. Eventually. Possibly. After I learn to breathe at 7,500 feet.
  • 1:00 PM: Definitely taking a nap.
Luxury Saratov Living: Гоголя Street's Hidden Gem

Book Now

The Historic Crags Lodge Estes Park (CO) United States

The Historic Crags Lodge Estes Park (CO) United States

Crags Lodge: The Real Deal (And Why It Matters) - FAQs, Rambles, and Honest Truths

Why should I even *care* about Crags Lodge? Isn't it just another hotel?

Okay, fair question. I get it. Hotels are a dime a dozen. But Crags Lodge? Nah. It's got *soul*. Think of it like this: you stumble across a perfectly preserved Victorian time capsule tucked away in the mountains. That, my friend, is Crags Lodge. It's not just a place to crash; it's a vibe. The history is thick enough to cut with a butter knife. You feel it in the creaky floors, the slightly wonky angles of the walls (trust me, I've measured – or tried to!), and the way the sunlight hits those old windows. It's a genuine experience, a welcome change from the sterile, cookie-cutter hotels that make you feel like you're staying in a box.

I mean, I stayed there last fall, and... well, let's just say I almost missed my flight home. I felt like I'd been transported to a different era. The fireplace in the lobby? Majestic. The views? Jaw-dropping. And the staff? Genuinely friendly folk who clearly love the place.

What kind of rooms are available at Crags? Are they all the same?

Alright, the rooms. This is where things get delightfully... unpredictable. They're *not* all carbon copies. Some rooms are cozy and intimate, perfect for snuggling up with a good book (and maybe a sneaky bottle of wine... shhh!). Others are larger, with kitchens and multiple bedrooms, ideal for families or groups of friends. And then there are the views. Oh, the views! You can almost reach out and touch the Rockies from some of those balconies. Almost. (Don't try, though; gravity is a fickle beast.)

My tip? Call and ask for a specific room. Don't be afraid to tell them what you're looking for. The staff knows the ins and outs of each room and can guide you to the perfect fit. It’s much better than ending up with the room above the kitchen, which *may* have a lingering aroma of bacon from breakfast. Just a thought.

Is Crags Lodge pet-friendly? My furry friend is my co-pilot!

Okay, listen up, fellow dog lovers! This is crucial. Yes! Crags Lodge *is* pet-friendly, within certain parameters, of course. Always check their website or call ahead to confirm their current policies. But, generally, you can bring your four-legged buddy along for the adventure. Imagine that, your pup exploring Estes Park with you! Picture the Instagram possibilities! But please, for the love of all that is holy, clean up after your dog. Nobody wants to step in a "surprise" on the gorgeous grounds.

What's the deal with the views? Are they *really* as good as everyone says?

The views. Oh, sweet, sweet Lord, the views. Okay, I'm getting a little carried away. But seriously, they're spectacular. You're perched on a hillside, overlooking Estes Park and the majestic peaks of Rocky Mountain National Park. It's like a postcard come to life. I swear I spent half my trip just staring out the window, utterly mesmerized. Sunrise? Unforgettable. Sunset? Prepare to weep. I saw a moose wandering around in the valley *from my balcony* one morning. A MOOSE! That's not something you get at your average hotel. Just... *breathe*. It's that good.

Is there a restaurant or dining options at Crags Lodge?

Yep! Crags Lodge boasts a fantastic restaurant, the Cascades Restaurant & Lounge. Now, full disclosure: I'm a foodie, and I'm notoriously hard to please. But Cascades? They won me over. The food is fresh, the cocktails are potent (in the best way!), and the atmosphere is cozy and inviting. I had a truly epic salmon dinner there. And the breakfast buffet? A carb-lover's dream. Seriously, go hungry. And maybe loosen your belt a notch before you sit down.

The restaurant also offers panoramic views, so you can enjoy your meal and gaze at the scenery all at once. Win, win!

How close is Crags Lodge to Rocky Mountain National Park? Is it convenient for exploring the park?

Convenient? Honey, it's ridiculously convenient. Crags Lodge is incredibly close to the Fall River Entrance of Rocky Mountain National Park. I'm talking like a 5-minute drive. Seriously, you can be hiking among the pines and gazing at alpine lakes in no time. It's a huge advantage. You can easily pop back to the lodge for a quick nap, a snack, or a wardrobe change, which, trust me, is crucial when dealing with unpredictable mountain weather. I might have learned that the hard way during a sudden afternoon blizzard. Never forget layers, people!

Anything Quirky or Unique about Crags Lodge? Give me the juicy details!

Oh, *yes*. This is where Crags truly shines! Okay, brace yourselves: the lodge has a fascinating history. It was built in the early 1900s and has hosted everyone from Hollywood stars to presidents. Think about the stories those walls could tell! It's like stepping back in time with modern comforts. Plus, the architecture is stunning, with its rustic charm and grand fireplaces. And, get this: Some say it's haunted. (I didn't see anything myself, but I did get a weird feeling in one of the hallways late at night... maybe it was just the coffee kicking in?)

Then there's *the* elevator. It's old, rickety, and charming as heck. It’s slow, but it’s part of the experience. You half expect a butler to pop out and offer you a mint julep. (They don't, sadly.) But it has character. Real, honest-to-goodness character. Embrace the quirks. That's what makes Crags so special.

And finally, there's the persistent rumor of a secret tunnel. I couldn't find it, I can't confirm it, but I'm hoping it's true. I wouldn't put it past the place!

What's the ONE thing I *have* to do or see while staying at Crags Lodge?

Okay, if I had to pick ONE thing? Just one? This is tough! But here's my vote: **Witness the sunrise (or sunset) from your balcony or the lobby.** Seriously.Trending Hotels Now

The Historic Crags Lodge Estes Park (CO) United States

The Historic Crags Lodge Estes Park (CO) United States

The Historic Crags Lodge Estes Park (CO) United States

The Historic Crags Lodge Estes Park (CO) United States

Post a Comment for "Estes Park's Hidden Gem: Uncover the Historic Crags Lodge!"