
Somerset's Hidden Gem: Wyndham Wingate Review (PA) - You WON'T Believe This!
Somerset's Hidden Gem: Wyndham Wingate Review (PA) - You WON'T Believe This! (Seriously…)
Okay, buckle up buttercups, because I just got back from a stay at the Wyndham Wingate in Somerset, PA, and honestly? I'm still processing it. This place… it’s not what you think a Wyndham is. Forget those cookie-cutter, highway-adjacent experiences. This is… well, it's Somerset's little secret, and I’m spilling the beans, warts and all. You've been warned.
First Impressions & Accessibility (or Lack Thereof…):
Pulling up, it's a pretty typical Wyndham exterior. Pleasant enough, landscaped, and even boasts a car park [free of charge]. Score! (Seriously, always a bonus). But then you notice… hmm. Let's just say, if you’re relying heavily on accessibility, this isn't exactly a slam dunk. While they do have facilities for disabled guests, I didn't see a wheelchair accessible entrance that screamed "EASY PEASY." More like, "Challenge Accepted!" (More details needed on accessibility features; I'm just going on my own limited observation and wish they gave better accessibility info!). The elevator is definitely a blessing!
Cleanliness & Safety - Trying REALLY Hard:
Alright, this is where things get interesting. They're clearly putting a lot of effort into cleanliness. We’re talking Anti-viral cleaning products, Daily disinfection in common areas, and Rooms sanitized between stays. The smell of… well, something… hit me the second I opened the door. Not unpleasant, mind you, but definitely assertive cleaning supplies. It’s comforting, though. They are also showing off Hand sanitizer everywhere. They’ve even gone as far as Professional-grade sanitizing services and Sterilizing equipment. Rooms sanitized between stays.. They seem very careful about the Staff trained in safety protocol. I did like the very obvious display of Smoke alarms and the Fire extinguisher in the hallway. CCTV in common areas means a little more peace of mind.
The Room - My Sanctuary (Mostly):
Okay, the rooms themselves? Perfectly adequate. I secured one of the non-smoking rooms (thank god!). The air conditioning was a LIFESAVER. Blackout curtains were a godsend after the first busy day. The bed – extra long bed – was bliss. Pillows actually fluffed up! (It's the little things, people). Then, there's a refrigerator (thank you, Wyndham gods!), coffee/tea maker, complimentary tea, but the microwave was a tiny little thing that screamed, "Don't get too ambitious with your midnight snacks!" The in-room safe box provided security. The bathroom had a separate shower/bathtub which, frankly, made me feel posh. Bathrobes and slippers were a nice touch. Internet access was easy using their Wi-Fi [free] and Laptop workspace enabled me to get some work done.
Internet Woes and the Miracle of Free Wi-Fi:
While on the topic of the internet, the Internet access – wireless in the room was crucial! Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! – that's the real hero here. I needed to crank out some work, and it held up (mostly!). The internet – LAN sounds like a throwback to the 90s (lol) but I’m not sure if it works. They also boast Internet services in general, but I haven't tested them all.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking - The Good, The Bad, and the Room Service:
Now, let's talk food. The Restaurants at the Wyndham Wingate, that’s where things got a little… unpredictable. They have a Bar, a Coffee shop, and Restaurants. I did try to get a Breakfast [buffet], and it was okay, but kind of the predictable hotel breakfast kind of way. The a la carte in restaurant was solid, but not overly memorable. The Room service [24-hour] saved my sanity. I was STARVING at 2 AM and got a surprisingly good burger, which felt like a miracle. I think that was the height of it. They also boast Coffee/tea in restaurant and Poolside bar. I’m not sure about the Desserts in restaurant, or the Soup in restaurant or the Salad in restaurant, I don't know anything about the Asian breakfast or the Asian cuisine in restaurant, or the Vegetarian restaurant as I only got a Burger, but the Bottle of water in the room was a welcome touch.
Things to Do & Ways to Relax - Pool with a View (…Kinda):
They’ve got a Swimming pool [outdoor] which, in theory, sounds lovely. In reality, it was a bit… underwhelming. You're not exactly staring at the Eiffel Tower here. They also have a Fitness center, which I, uh, didn't visit. My ideal vacation doesn't involve heavy lifting. They even have a Spa/sauna (again, didn't try), but it sounds promising. It's a hidden gem.
Services and Conveniences - A Mixed Bag:
The Daily housekeeping kept things tidy. The Concierge handled my questions with a smile. They also have Laundry service and Dry cleaning. The Cash withdrawal option in the hotel came in handy. The Gift/souvenir shop (typical hotel stuff). There is a Convenience store which is neat. They even offer Currency exchange if you need it. The Check-in/out [express] was super rapid – the Check-in/out [private] is offered, and I think it’s a nice touch.
The Quirks, The Imperfections, and a Moment of Truth:
Okay, let’s be honest. This isn’t the Ritz. There were some… things. The hallway carpets felt like they’d seen better decades. The elevator creaked like a grumpy old man. And the lighting in my room? Let's just say, I needed a magnifying glass to read. But you know what? I liked it. It had character. It felt… real.
My Big Moment of Zen (…Or the Lack Thereof):
Forget the Body wrap, and forget the Foot bath. Forget the Sauna and the Steamroom… I wanted someone to rub the stress out of my shoulders! The Massage - that's all. I got one. The Spa had a Couple's room which was cute.
For the Kids:
They have a whole section for For the kids : Babysitting service, Family/child friendly, and Kids meal. That makes everything easier!
The Offer You CAN'T Refuse (Maybe):
So, here's the deal. If you're looking for a flawless, corporate experience, go find a generic chain. But if you appreciate a little bit of flavor, a place that isn't afraid to be itself, and you're looking for a surprisingly solid stay in Somerset, the Wyndham Wingate is worth a shot.
Here's my pitch:
Book your stay at the Wyndham Wingate in Somerset, PA, for the next [Insert timeframe] and get:
- A Complimentary Upgrade (if available): We’re talking potentially a room with a better view, a bigger bed, or extra space to sprawl out!
- A $20 Credit to the On-Site Bar or Restaurant: Treat yourself to a well-deserved drink or a meal (trust me, you deserve it!).
- Free Late Check-Out (subject to availability): Sleep in a little longer. You’ve earned it!
- AND, for any booking done on a specific date range (i.e. next 2 weeks): A gift bag including some Somerset-local specialty snacks!
Why? Because Somerset is waiting to be discovered! The Wyndham Wingate isn't your average hotel, and neither are you. Embrace the quirks, the character, and the good times. Book your stay today, and prepare for a trip you won't soon forget. Just go. Seriously.
Omni Chicago Hotel: Your Luxurious Chicago Escape Awaits!
Alright, buckle up buttercups, because this ain't your grandma's perfectly-ironed travel itinerary. We're doing Somerset, PA, the "Gateway to the Laurel Highlands" (cue the dramatic music!) and let me tell you, it's going to be a trip. We're staying at the Wingate by Wyndham, because, let's be honest, comfort and a free breakfast are non-negotiables when you're as perpetually exhausted as I am.
Day 1: Arrival, Déjà Vu, and a Pizza Pilgrimage (Plus, Disappointment… and Redemption!)
1:00 PM: Arrival at Wingate by Wyndham, Somerset. Okay, first impressions? The lobby’s… well, it’s a lobby. Functional, cleanish, the smell of industrial cleaner trying heroically to overpower the lingering scent of stale coffee. The receptionist is nice enough though, bless her. Check-in is a breeze, which is always a win. My luggage is always heavier than I expect, even when I've packed light. Seriously, what is in those socks?
1:30 PM: Room Reconnaissance. My room is… adequate. Clean sheets, a view of the parking lot, and a distinct lack of anything remotely interesting on the TV guide. Reminds me of… well, every other hotel room I’ve ever stayed in. Honestly, if I wasn't so tired, this might bother me more. Maybe this is just the cost of travel. sigh
2:00 PM: The Great Pizza Quest to Pizza Joes. Heard rave reviews. Needed sustenance. Pizza Joes is apparently a local institution, a mecca for carb-craving travelers like yours truly. Drive there. Get excited. Arrive… CLOSED. Devastation. Pure, unadulterated pizza-deprived devastation. This is the kind of thing that throws a wrench into my carefully constructed plans and starts my travel plans off on a sour note.
2:30 PM: Improvised Lunch at the Nearby Sheetz. Fine. Sheetz. It's not pizza, but it's food. And they have those amazing MTO (Made-To-Order) options. I order a cheeseburger, fries, and a ridiculously large milkshake. It's good, okay? Don't judge. Sometimes, you just gotta eat your feelings. Maybe this unplanned detour to Sheetz wasn't so bad.
3:30 PM: Brief Explore. I drove around town. Somerset is…well, it’s charming in a small-town kind of way. There's a courthouse, a few shops, and a whole lot of wide-open spaces. It's quiet. Too quiet. I'm starting to feel the post-pizza food coma kick in.
6:00 PM: Dinner Round Two… The Pizza Joes Gambit! Screw it. I call Pizza Joes to see if, by some miracle, they’re open. They are! My heart sings! I order a colossal pizza and make my way down there, my stomach rumbling in anticipation.
6:45 PM: PIZZA GLORY. Their pizza is divine. Crispy crust, perfectly melted cheese, a flavorful sauce that just works. Completely worth the initial disappointment. This pizza just makes the day worth it. This is what it's all about. This is pure, unadulterated joy in a cardboard box.
8:00 PM: Back to the Hotel - TV and the Eternal Struggle with the Remote. Back in the room, I try to watch something on TV, but the remote is a tiny alien device. I eventually give up and just stare at the ceiling. I’m starting to understand why people come to these places to get away from it all.
Day 2: Flight 93 Memorial and the Unpredictable Beauty of Nature
8:00 AM: Breakfast at Wingate. Standard continental breakfast. Waffles, cereal, questionable scrambled eggs… fuel, at any rate. I load up on coffee. I'm going to need it.
9:00 AM: Flight 93 National Memorial. This is the big one. This is what brought me here. The memorial itself is stunning. The sheer scale of the memorial is overwhelming. It's quiet, respectful, somber. It’s like the entire world had suddenly come to a standstill. I am filled with this sense of sadness. I wander, reading the names of the passengers, the crew, the people who fought back. The memorial is hauntingly beautiful, a testament to the courage of the people on that flight. I'm moved. I'm changed. I need a minute.
12:00 PM: Lunch near the Memorial I am so deeply moved that I need a moment to catch my breath. I grab a quick sandwich at a small cafe near the entrance to the memorial. The food is okay, but I find it nearly impossible to focus on eating.
1:00 PM: Laurel Caverns: Descent into the Earth (and Into the Unknown!) I've heard the Laurel Caverns are a must-see. They are. But I'm claustrophobic, and I'm not going to lie, the idea of descending deep into the earth fills me with a level of anxiety I've never known. I'm not sure if this is a great idea. But I do it, thinking it will conquer my fears. The caves are otherworldly, twisting passages and towering formations, lit by the dim glow of the tour guide's flashlight. The tour guide is super upbeat and knowledgeable. The stalactites and stalagmites are like something out of a fantasy novel. The air is damp and cool. And, yes, I am a little bit freaked out. But I push through it. It's a bit of a triumph!
3:00 PM: Hike in the Laurel Highlands. A short, easy hike seemed like a good idea after the sensory overload of the caverns. I find a trail, and within a short drive, I'm surrounded by trees, and the scent of pine needles fills my lungs. It's quiet. This is how I feel at peace. This is what I needed. Nature.
6:00 PM: Dinner Debacle and the Quest for Decent Cuisine. Finding a good restaurant on a Sunday night in Somerset is proving to be… challenging. I wander around, feeling increasingly hangry. I settle for the least offensive-looking option, a diner. The food is… fine. Edible. Let's leave it at that. The waitress is lovely, which is a huge plus.
8:00 PM: Back to the room. Decompression and the dread of packing. I watched TV. I actually read the newspaper. I packed my bags. I am not ready to leave tomorrow. Part of me could just stay here forever.
Day 3: Departure and the Reflective Drive Home:
8:00 AM: Final Breakfast. The same as yesterday. Same questionable eggs. I’m already missing that pizza.
9:00 AM: Checkout. Quick and painless. The best kind.
9:30 AM: Depart Somerset. Goodbye, Somerset. You were… an experience. I leave with a pizza-fueled belly and a newfound appreciation for the beauty of National memorial.
En Route: The Drive Home. Melodramatic Musings. Driving home, I think about my time in Somerset. It wasn't perfect. There were some disappointments. But it was also a journey. It changed me. Okay, maybe not. But, it was a good trip. I'm tired, but I feel… something. Maybe it's just a delayed reaction to all that pizza. Whatever it is, it's enough.
Okay, that's it! This itinerary is not a precise guide, but a messy, honest, and hopefully entertaining account of my time in Somerset. And if you take one thing away from this, let it be this: Pizza Joes. Go. Now.
Escape to Daylight Inn: Your Elkhart I-90 Oasis Awaits!
Okay, Seriously, What IS This "Wyndham Wingate" Place, Anyway? (And Should I Even Bother?)
The Pool: Is It an Oasis or a Swamp Monster's Lair?
The Breakfast: Fueling Your Adventure or a Recipe for Disaster?
The Rooms Themselves: What's the Vibe?
Service? Good, Bad, or Just... Present?
Is This Place Actually Worth It? The Big Question!


Post a Comment for "Somerset's Hidden Gem: Wyndham Wingate Review (PA) - You WON'T Believe This!"